Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Panorama Route All Day Tour



What a fabulous day for a van tour north of Nelspruit! Looking at the website about the Panorama Route did not prepare me for the beauty we encountered today. We first drove through miles of eucalyptus trees, pines, bananas, and other fruit trees.
Steven made a special trip to Nelspruit
to get me in this van, then drove north to Hazy View to get 2 English couples, so the 6 of us spent all day together--saw wonderful sights, learned a lot and laughed a lot.


These are banana trees with plastic bags over each bunch of bananas to protect them from bugs and to allow them to ripen gently.


Our first stop was at the lovely Lone Creek waterfall. In my rush to leave the house, I had forgotten to change from my Switch Flops to more appropriate shoes for hiking, but Steven and Pete (one of the British guys) helped me navigate the parts of the path that were slippery from the mist.

         Lisbon Falls could not be seen from the road, but we walked between two long sheds of items for sale by locals, & Voila! There they were!


The Blyde (pron. Blade) River Canyon is a gorgeous National Preserve somewhat like our Grand Canyon but much more green & beautiful. This is the overlook for the Three Rondavels, which are shaped like native round huts.


Our next stop was by far the most amazing. Bourke's Luck Potholes were created millenia ago as the river carved its way through the soft rock of the canyon. The rolling action of the boulders dug holes and pools into the rock.

From the approaching path, we began to see the rounded edges of the canyon. Then the potholes came into sight, and what a sight they were!! There are 2 bridges which cross the chasm and offer great photo ops.


At upper left, you can see my shadow on the bridge. Steven was wonderful about offering to take my picture at each site.
In fact, he didn't offer--he just
took the camera from me! He was really a great guide!
The lower left picture faces upstream from the Potholes.
We capped off our day by having fabulous pancakes, which are actually crepes which can be ordered with different fillings rolled up in them. I had cinnamon and banana with a caramel sauce and ice cream on the side--completely low-cal!!That's all for now. I hope you are enjoying my efforts at blogging. This one went more easily for me, so the pix are in their proper places!